Monday, March 14, 2011

Monday, March 14th, 2011



Holy Cowie! Another week huh? Dang they go by so fast. Guess what? It's thundering, lightening and raining outside! Beautiful! We're going shopping after this. So one thing I thought I'd share real quick is a talk I read. It's titled the fourth missionary and how we can become that missionary that few become. I read it and the one thing I wanted to work on was turning not just my body and spirit to the Lord, but also my desires, and dreams, and make my desire, what the Lord desires. As I thought about this I wondered, and have been wondering this for a while, "Does that mean I can't have fun as a missionary? That I'm supposed to be a missionary and have no fun?" I hope not, we're told a lot to be a missionary, but also to be ourselves, and I WILL go crazy if I don't have fun over the next 22 months. (Yup, almost 22 months! :) ) I was wondering how I can go run in the rain during lunch, or play a mini game of mini golf in my apartment during dinner, or do other harmless but fun stuff like that, if that's one of MY desires. I bet the Lord would rather have me studying my scriptures at the time, rather than do little harmless fun activities during dinner. That's something that's been on my mind so if anyone has any advice PLEASE let me know. (So it just barely, within 5 seconds just started POURING, and the only reason I know that is because we can hear it through the library roof! :D FUN FUN)

Investigator Update: :( Sad story, Rick and Corinna Brown said they weren't able to change right now! They said they agreed with much of what we told them in the short 35 minute lesson we gave Rick on the doorstep, but that they just weren't ready. The first thing I thought of was that I bet Satan had a party over that two weeks until we could meet with them. We knew it was too long to wait, and that's why we stopped by every other if not every day to see them, but that wasn't enough. But ya know, I left there kinda of sad, but not, because although I would have LOVED to see them converted, we planted an AMAZING seed, and I KNOW it'll happen in the future. Maybe within the year, but it'll happen.

Olivia, the 9 year old girl whose mom we tracted into and is a member, is just doing great! She reads a picture Book of Mormon we gave to her most every day, and prays and teaches her non member dad and sister the Plan of Salvation chart we gave her. So so great! She's going to be baptized the 26th of this month, march, so we're just still going with her on that, just making her feel comfortable and understands everything as much as a 9 year old can.

We have two more baptism dates with a brother and sister named John and Carol. It was on exchanges, but Elder Hunt said they had a fantastic lesson. We'll see how they do.

We taught an AMAZING AMAZING lesson to a referral married couple named Donovan and Michelle. Actually, we didn't teach the lesson, the spirit did! It was probably the best lesson I've had since being a missionary. Elder Hunt and I were guided an incredible amount by the spirit to ask question inspired by him, discern their needs (which were primarily based on faith and how they can gain a knowledge of what we teach and what they read), and teach principles to what they need! It was so so great! They didn't want to commit to baptism, because that was a big part was them finding out for themselves, which we were fine with, but they said they'd read the BoM and pray, and pray and pray. They're such great people. Mid twenties, enjoying life but have been searching through many religions, looking for one that allows them to have a "good feeling" about what they are apart of, and also learn about Science, and other religions, and use that knowledge, or testimony, that they'll gain if they have the desire, to correctly discern what is true and what isn't. Just like you dad, as you read the Book of Jasher. You have a firm testimony of the gospel, and you can use that to pick out what is true and what isn't. .They wanted the same thing. By the way dad, I love the Book of Jasher stories you send. Keep them coming please. Elder Hunt and I read them....I just love hearing everything from you and mom.....I also told them about my strong testimony, but how I still wanted to learn about other religions and that's why I took the World Religion's class at BYU. I wasn't "Looking", but I was "Learning" about other religions. AMAZING LESSON. Next one is tomorrow, on tuesday.

Oh, and Brad and Dad, please keep the newspaper pictures of BYU basketball coming. I hear a bit, and talk to members, so it's nice to fill in the gaps. I was happy to hear about Daves! What a stud! Not for what he did, but what he did...if that makes sense. He chose to follow God, and not man. But Brad, just the pictures, with a date on them would be nice. Not the stories please! Love you both.

Oh, and mom, I did indeed get the package! I loved it! The Stafford shirt is just what I need. The MM shirts are kinda heavy, that's all. But please don't go buy anymore. I can easily make due. I'm perfectly content. And an answer to your question mommy: YES! I cook all the time for my companion and I. I'm gonna get stuff to make Lasagne today, and we make Dad's cornbread ALL THE TIME. Probably 3 times a week, and also biscuits. We're eating well! BUT, please don't send me anymore sweats :) I'm getting tired of sugar, and I just eat it and eat it if it's there. A member made us the BEST cake a week ago. It was a peruvian cake I think but it was named "Tres Lechase?" It means "Three milks" and I'm sure you've heard of it. It's a legend! If you so desire to send me food, and I would love more food, send me muffins like you have, or rolls, or amazing stuff like that. Sorry, I don't mean to be picky. I don't mean to be fat either, and that's why I'm saying. :) Love you! Oh, and thank you so much for the Jerky, it was gone 20 minutes after I opened it.

So, I've been trying to buy really good, healthy food, like strawberries, bananas, apples, carrots and celery. And lately, after I eat the bulk of the meal I grab some carrots and celery and some Peanut Butter and eat it! It reminds me so much of our trips to London as a family, and eating PB, with carrots and celery. Elder Vainuku, from tonga thinks I'm crazy. By the way, he made us some Tongan food the other day. AMAZING AMAZING!! Dad, if you ever want a fun idea that puts out amazing results. Make Tongan food! Everything is cooked in Coconut milk! So so AMAZING!

Funny note, dad, I was laying in bed, and I heard the noise of a freight train traveling in the distance. I knew it was coming up to a road crossing, even though I couldn't see it. Wanna know how? I heard the distinct, 2 long, 1 short, 1 long. Isn't that weird how I remember that?

Another thing to Kristen, Jared, Angie and Austin. On my wall, I have pics of Mom, Dad, Kristen, Angie, Brad and Alex, all as missionaries, but I felt like something's missing. When you get the time, could I get a picture, maybe two, of Jared and Austin as missionaries in Boston and Oklahoma? I talk so much about my family, that I want everyone to see. If it's not to much to ask, could I get that one picture of Austin where he's looking through a peep hole with a santa hat on? I love that one!
So a funny story: We went to an asian buffet, called Hibachi, and by the way I tried sushi for the first time. eeh! But anyways, I was walking around, carefully deciding whether I'd like heart burn, or constipation, and what foods I should pick according to those wants when I heard the BeeGees on the radio! At an asian buffet, in Texas! Crazy ehh? I've been reminded of the family so much. Dad, it was definitely a tender mercy of the lord.

I also had a question to all, but I thought of dad when I thought of it. What happened to the Hill Cumorah Box that the plates were contained in? We know where that hill is, but not where the box is? Is that one of those, hidden-by-the-lord moments?
Also, I thought of a good present or idea if anyone is bored or wants something to do for christmas or birthday, but I'm fine without it. I wanted a Shopping/Email idea list, instead of writing them in my planner. I'm fine doing that, but just to be a bit more organized, and to be reminded of home more :) Just a home made one, or a store bought one, just something.

One last story: Elder Hunt and I were biking around, and we saw a man whose car had broken down in the middle of an intersection, so we quickly set our bikes down and ran to help him push. We pushed it out of the intersection, when I realized that an Army soldier, dressed in Camo had come to help as well. I don't know why, but I thought it was just such a cool moment to see us as missionaries, and an army soldier do an act of service. We didn't talk cause he ran off, but just a cool sight to imagine. A man, with two missionaries and a soldier in camo helping this guy push his car.

I must be going now, but I love you all! Each day, more and more I learn and am reminded of my dependence on the spirt and on god! I know that missionary work is a privilage and an amazing opportunity given to us by our Heavenly Father. No work is greater than this, that the saving of a soul. I will represent the McKeen name well and work hard! I love you all! I think I'm gonna start doing more of the small plates of nephi, with more spiritual stuff, than the large plates with just political and social stuff. What do you think? I love you all!

Justin: Way to be getting 5 days of reading in this week! I'll send you an amazing letter but just keep on going dude! I love you so much and I want you to succeed!

Kimberly: How are you? Sorry if the letter I sent you was a bit weird, I realized after I'd written it that it was, but that's okay. You're 12! Weird stuff huh? I love you and I'm so happy You gave a talk and did well in your play. I'd love to hear about it... MAYBE IN A LETTER :D I love you!

Sorry, Kristen and Jared, no time to write today but I love you!

I love you Mom! That letter I sent you only containted .000001% of all I owe you and will forever owe you! Keep being such an amazing person! I love you!

Your son, Elder McKeen

No comments:

Post a Comment